Monday, January 23, 2012

Stormy Weather

It's been unseasonably warm so far, but we had about an inch of snow and sleet on Saturday, the first of the season.  Sunday was bitter cold, but today it warmed up again, with a bit of rain. As a result, it was very foggy - I felt as if I was driving inside a milk bottle!

I was supposed to meet Eldest Daughter and my oldest friend  for breakfast at 9:00 at Bob Evans.  Discovered they are closed for remodeling. I did not discover this until I had driven around several dump trucks and stepped over some scaffolding. Oblivious? Me? Well, it gave they guys who were working there a story to tell their wives...you won't believe this dippy woman...

I called Tina and suggested we meet at Panera, which is just across the street, then called Merrie. We all arrived in a heap, but there really wasn't much on the menu, so we decided to go to the diner  across the street from the hospital, since I had an 11:00 appointment there, anyway.

Both Merrie and I are perpetually on diets, and I am a vegetarian, but Tina will eat anything. We all had omelets. Merrie and I had mushrooms and green peppers, and Tina had bacon and a side of fried potatoes. There are only two vegetables I don't like; refried beans and potatoes. Weird. I just don't understand what people see in potatoes. Just plain old white mush. Ah, well. At least Tina didn't offer to share them with me.

So - long discussion with the neurosurgeon about my aching back and right leg, which has taken to folding up under me at the most inoportune moments, not that there are any good times to take a tumble, I guess. My bottom four discs are shot, but he doesn't want to do a fusion of that magnitude, so we decided to try a spinal block, time and place to be decided.
Our church's ladies group is making Prayer Shawls, and somebody has offered to teach me to crochet. I'm not sure how this is going to work out, frankly. Talk about teaching an old dog new tricks.  I can smock, I can do counted cross-stitch, I can sit on a cushion and sew a fine seam, but crocheting has always been beyond me. This lumpy little worm is the result of an hour and a half of cross-eyed concentration.  I think my shawl is destined for somebody who hasn't even gotten sick yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment