Thursday, January 26, 2012

Strawberry Ice Cream

When I was in the grocery store the other day they had a sale - buy two bags of salad and get a pint of strawberries free. Such a deal!

We eat salad every night, but it was obvious the berries were being given away because they were verrry close to the end of the line.  No problem. I looked over the boxes carefully, as some had already started to mold, and brought home what I thought was the best of the lot. I also picked up a pint of whipping cream, because I had ice cream on my mind. I filled a large bowl with water and about a quarter cup of cider vinegar, and dumped in the berries. I hulled them and cut out the soft spots, and then stashed them in the fridge until yesterday morning.

I put the cream in the bowl of my stand-up mixer and got it started, pureed the berries and poured them into my Salton Big Chill, then put a cup of milk and a cup of sugar in the blender to a) make sure the sugar was really well mixed, and b) to get the last of that precious strawberry gloop out of the blender.
Poured all that into the Big Chill, gave it a couple of spins, waited fifteen minutes and spun it again, and then stuck it back into the freezer.

Heaven! Absolute heaven! No carrageenan, no xananth gum, no modified food starch, just milk, sugar and berries. And it couldn't have been easier. I could have just as easily poured it all into a metal bowl and stirred it a couple of times, and skipped the Big Chill. We have forgotten how good plain, unadulterated food can taste.

Try it! You'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment