Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Spinal Block

We were up at the unheard-of hour of 6:45 this morning to get to the Surgical Center by 8:00. I sat in glum silence while the Squire - the fink - ate his breakfast before we left. I couldn't even have a cup of coffee; it wasn't a pretty sight.

Anyway, the spinal block seems to have been a complete success! (Applause, please!) The bottom four discs in my spine are completely shot, and the doctor doesn't want to do a fusion, so we have been making do with injections of various sorts. I did have a partial discectomy in 2006, which was a tremendous help, but he he said these discs are beyond even what that procedure could do.

When he hit the nerve that runs down my right leg, the pain was horrendous, but it only lasted a few moments, and then the leg went completely numb. When I had collected my wits, the staff moved me to the recovery area and the Squire came in to keep me company. At first, I could only wiggle my toes, then lift my knee, and finally, after about 45  minutes, I was able to move the leg normally so they let me go home.  Lunch and back to bed.

I am so accustomed to moving very carefully to avoid making my leg hurt, that it is odd to be able to move as I please.

Thank God for modern medicine!

No comments:

Post a Comment